Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Free Weatherization: Update 1.0

Well, A LOT has happened on the County weatherization front. We had our energy audit earlier in the year and they determined that we were eligible for a new toilet, refrigerator and insulation. First was the new toilet. (sorry no pictures yet on that one).
Next was the fridge. The first time they tried to deliver it our nanny was here and it turned out that our upper cabinet had to be ripped out for it to fit. Unfortunately they didn't just leave it for us to rip out the cabinet and had to wait until Saturday 8am. It isn't a fancy fridge by any means, but it's clean, bright and easier to organize.
The old fridge. Who knows how old it was...we never moved it and I doubt the previous owners did either based on this:

This is the After picture from sweeping, and sweeping. Many of the tiles were just popping up. Luckily our new fridge is on wheels so I can pull it out, mop and paint the alcove.

Bright. Beautiful & organized. I am in love with the fact that we can fit the milk in the door at arm's reach. it's the little things...

Today the insulation guys showed up bright and early at 8:30 AM. They told me that they had to lay plastic and my flowers might not make it, but i didn't realize how bad it was going to be...more to come below with before and afters... 

Originally we thought they were only going to put insulation in our little attic space that is only accessible through our closet (finally meaning it was the perfect opportunity to get Hubby on board with my plan for the closet organization.) That will be another post...

After the guys showed up and Graham talked to them, we found out that they were asked to install insulation in a little attic closet space in my sewing room, in the basement where the outside walls meet the foundation AND best of all, the outside walls! AH-MAZ-ING! 

A couple of Early Spring photo of the front of the house.
One of Graham's co-workers is a General Contractor and they have been talking about using a dumpster he already has on another job to toss our shingles into. The insulation guys popped off the shingles where needed and we are super stoked to see how nice the original siding is underneath. These 2 pictures are the worst so far which is really great news.

The East side of the house.
So this means, within the next month or so, we will spend our weekends and days off removing the shingles and priming the exposed siding. I am hoping that we will be able to get the exterior painted by Fall. This is proof of how a project that is at the bottom of the list can sky rocket to the top. I for one am VERY excited about this project. Yes the front porch will need to be tackled at some point and most likely not this summer, and the windows all need to be replaced. BUT at least I can feel good when pulling in the driveway.

Ok, so back to my squashed plants. I am most sad about this lovely large hosta that I was just admiring yesterday as well as my hellebore. My flowers in the front yard were all spent, so that's good.
 The first year with only 1 cherry tree.
 Spring flowers in full bloom.
 The boys liked to run through the petals and call it snow. Oliver at one point even told me they came from the "Snow Tree"...
(another outisde project that should maybe get it's own post...)
My step-dad built up this Lovely rain barrel from a wine barrel that we picked up for $35 at Bethel Heights. (We also got a 1/2 barrel that will become Oliver's garden once a drainage whole is drilled into it.)

They only got about 1/2 done today and will return on Thursday to finish the job. Saturday we are getting 1 of 2 raised beds that will be put in our neighbor's parking strip. Yay!